Telco 2.0™ is a collection of research, brainstorming and consulting services designed to catalyse change in the Telecoms-Media-Technology sector.
The Initiative stimulates new ways of thinking about Business Models, Service Portfolios and Technical Architectures.
Created by specialist analyst and consulting company, STL Partners, the Telco 2.0™ Initiative was launched in May 2006 and is supported by the GSM Association, among other organizations around the world. It runs one of the most widely read blogs in the sector.
Why does it exist?
IP has changed the game and many growth markets are maturing rapidly. The lines between industries are blurring and everyone is after the same consumers. This is causing disruption in the telco industry, for operators and their partners. Greater levels of creativity are needed to address the following issues:
- The vertically integrated business model is under attack from all sides: tougher regulation, new technology (most notably VoIP and open spectrum), disintermediatory new entrants, and advancing customer expectations.
- P/E ratios suggest little investor belief in this improving. They have low confidence in "converged" or triple/quadruple-play bundles providing high returns.
- Operators are making investment decisions in Network & IT, Products & Services, and Mergers & Acquisitions without a clear view of the future.
- 92% of respondents to an STL online survey replied that 're-thinking the strategic role of the operator' is a key priority.
- The majority of senior executives polled in 2007 lack confidence in the industry's ability to create sustainable growth.
- There is an urgent need for all players in the telecoms value chain to review and renew their business models.
You can find further links below to:
Please also see the full Telco 2.0™ Manifesto and the Telco 2.0™ Blog for ongoing analysis.